Alterations, Repairs, & Garment Restyling
So, you found the perfect wedding dress, but it's too big in the bust, you're tripping over the hem, and you need a bustle. You lost a few pounds and now your jeans are showing off a rather unwanted plumber's crack. Your mom generously gave you her wedding dress, but the style is just not... yours. Don't worry - we've got you covered!
We can alter just about any garment to fit you like a glove. We can also fix things like ripped seams, hems that are coming undone, and other repairs. Or we can make a more dramatic change, like taking a formal floor-length dress with a train, and turning it into a sassy little knee-length number. We call this garment restyling, and frankly, we love doing it!
Please allow 6-8 weeks for bridal and other major alterations, and 3-6 weeks for all other alterations. If you need an alteration completed in less time, it is usually possible - see Rush Alterations for details.
Process & Pricing
If you've never had an alteration done before, you're probably wondering how it works and what it costs. So here is the deal:
We'll meet with you and have you try on your garment for us. We'll look at the whole thing and discuss what you need and want done with it. We'll figure out how long it should take us, and give you a quote. If you decide to hire us, you'll pay a 50% deposit to get started. We accept checks (preferred) and all major credit cards.
- Alterations & Fitting(s)
You leave your garment with us, and we make the requested changes. Depending on the alterations you need, we may have more than one fitting at different stages of completion. (For example, if you need a dress taken in and you need a hem shortened, we'll take it in first and then do a second fitting to mark the hem, because it will hang differently on you when it fits you properly.)
- Final Fitting & Pickup
When it's done, we'll have a fitting to make sure everything looks good. Then you'll pay us the remaining balance and take it home with you.
We do not have any flat fees for alterations because every alteration is different. At your consultation, we will assess your needs and give you a quote for our work. The price is based on two things – labor and materials:
- Labor ($40 per hour) – We'll estimate this in your quote, based on the amount of time we expect it will take to complete your alteration. You will be charged for the actual hours worked, which may be higher or lower than the estimate. We try to estimate on the high side, so that if we are wrong, it's less expensive than predicted.
- Materials – Some alterations require the purchase of materials, such as buttons, zippers, or bra cups in order to be completed. These are usually minimal (< $10) and will be included in your quote.
What does that mean to you? Since you probably don't know how long an alteration will take, here are some general ideas about the most common alterations we do:
- Most bridal alterations cost between $250-$800
- Most garment restyling cost between $750-$1,500, including materials
- Garments with appliqués, lace, or beading take significantly longer, since we have to remove and replace these things by hand in addition to the alteration itself; a good estimate is double the amount of time
- Dress Hems take about 1-2 hours per layer (most wedding and bridesmaid dresses have 2-4 layers which require hems)
- Zipper replacement takes about 4 hours
- Taking in the bust on a dress takes about 4 hours
- Pants hems (men's or women's) take about 1.5 hours per pair of pants
- Taking in or letting out a pair of men's pants takes about 2 hours
- Tailoring a man's suit jacket around the waist takes about 3-6 hours
I dreamed of a tea-length dress even though I couldn't find one. Crafty Broads transformed my second-hand David's Bridal dress into something unique and awesome. They took in my dress and hemmed it to my knees. It looked better than I'd expected, because they had the brilliant idea to leave the lace layer slightly longer than the lining. With extra fabric from the hem, they made matching cap sleeves and a veil. Each suggestion was carefully considered - I loved listening to them brainstorm ideas to come up with the best plan. After I picked out red shoes, they suggested a red sash, and even made my groom a matching red tie! The result was wonderful! Best of all, their prices were extremely reasonable, and Cindy and Julia were just so down-to-earth and easy to work with.
- Joanne, Chicago IL